society asking me to pay pending maintenance by previous owner
This is regarding Maintenance charges. I need clarification on a simple issue .
I recently bought a new flat in Housing society. This is a resale flat and I took it from previous owner. The society is 4 years old and still under builder undertake. i.e. Registered Society is not formed .
Building members themselves decided amount of 500 as a monthly maintainance for secuirity,electricity and other things.
I paid complete amount of 3000 from Jan 2012 to June 2012 (Rs 500 x 6). Till now there is no issue.
Now it happened like the previous owner had not paid the amount till Dec 2011. Various charges sum upto Rs 27000 pending from previous owner.
And now society members are asking me to pay those pending charges. I am held responcible for not enquiring if the previous owner has cleared all the charges at the time of buying.
I got NOC from Builder since there is no registered society and NOC mentions everything is clear and nothing is pending.
Now I need clarification on
1) Whether I need to pay the pending maintainance charges before Jan 2012 when I was not the resident of this society
2) The society is still not registered. They dont have letterheads also.Its still under builder's undertake. So do they have right to ask maintainace charges from me at all.
3) Should I be held responsible for not enquiring if the previous owner has not cleared all the dues against him.
4) I was threatened by committee members that if previous amount is not paid they will take leagal action. How much valid is this ?
I mean do the members of commitee (of unregistered society) can take legal action against me for not paying amount before I came in this society.
5) What legal action can I take against such threat
Responses and help appreciated,
Thanks in advance.