Afni, Inc. Complaints & Reviews

alissandro alfonso mineo
About Class Action Lawsuits...

We were hit with the same type of letter for a number we never had in an area we haven't lived in over a decade. They ticked us off enough to contact a Consumer Protection Attorney in Illinois for a class action lawsuit. The law states if we win, AFNI has to pay all lawyer fees, plus punitives...if anyone is interested, let me know.

My husband received a letter from this company on Jan 22 (letter dated January 11, 2007). They stated that he owed Verizon $767.46. He has never had a verizon number so he called Afni and after waiting over 45 minutes, he talked to a very rude guy that said it originated from a GTE, and said Verizon got it from them and that they didn't exist anymore. When asked for an original bill he said he didn't have provide it and that he won't and he also said that the burden of proof was on my husband. When asked for a supervisor, he refused. He was extremely rude. I'm worried because they do have my husband's SSN. Any advice is welcome. The PO Box I have for afni is 3427.

alissandro alfonso mineo
    Add Alaska to the list! I just got a bill two days ago with a $133.82! What a M.F. company AFNI is. I will call the FTC I guess.
    Complaint comments  Add a comment

Afni, Inc. — definitely a fraud going on!

alissandro alfonso mineo
      I am glad that others have written in, too. My daughter just went through the same thing. Like most of the Commentors, her...
      Complaint comments  Comments  (1)

alissandro alfonso mineo
      I received one as well. I have not lived in that state for 14 years. I am going to follow the above Gentlemen advice and send a certified letter as well as notify the FTC.

alissandro alfonso mineo
        I also received a letter from Afni, Inc. When I contacted them (after waiting 40 minutes), I was told it was from 1993. The person I spoke with told me that they could in fact report it on my credit if the debt had never been reported previously. I have contacted Clark Howard about it and am waiting to hear back. I will post with an update as soon as I do.

Afni, Inc. — Fradulent bill

i got one for500., something. it did not look right from the start.i have never had a pnone from verizon nor gte.i hope people on fixed incomes have not paid these bills! how low can you get! get a job like the rest of the world has to.the adress to mail it to was,bloomington,il.and the phone # was completley different than the other ones. i will also be contacting the BBB,please people, do NOT give you;re s.s. # to ANYONE!! lets put these scum bags away!!!

Afni, Inc. — Fradulent charges

I got a collection notice today. I have never had a verizon account. Too late at night to talk to the billing dept, but this whole thing seemed "phishy".

I reported it to the FTC already, will be calling verizon.

Michael Kenny, do you have the website address or phone number for the REAL Afni so that we can file a complaint with them?

I completely agree!!!!!!!!!!!!
          ANYONE WHO HAS A COMPLAINT ON THIS AFNI, INC. SHOULD IMMEDIATELY OR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE REPORT THIS TO THE POLICE AND I WOULD LIKE EACH AND EVERYONE OF US WHO HAS A COMPLAINT AGAINST THIS TERRIBLE CRIME OF FRAUD OF PEOPLE WHO ARE STEALING OUR IDENTITY & MONEY SHOULD STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          THERE ARE MANY MANY OF US COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS THIS IS A TERRIBLE CRIME THEY ARE DOING AGAINST US I WOULD LIKE ALL OF US TO TAKE THIS MATTER INTO SERIOUS CONSIDERATION BY CALLING THE POLICE AND EVEN BETTER TO CALL YOUR LOCAL NEWSPAPERS, AND MEDIA TO TELL THIS TERRIBLE SITUATION AND FOR THESE CRIMINALS TO PAY FOR THEIR CRIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Afni Collections — fraudulent claim

afni states my ex-husb/myself (even thou they spelled my name wrong) owe airtouch cellular 514.38. i know for a fact this is false info. i'm tired of their constant letters....also tired of false claims against mt credit that i've tried so hard to improve.

Afni, Inc. — Fraudulent 11 year old verizon bill!

I completely agree!!!!!!!!!!!!
          ANYONE WHO HAS A COMPLAINT ON THIS AFNI, INC. SHOULD IMMEDIATELY OR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE REPORT THIS TO THE POLICE AND I WOULD LIKE EACH AND EVERYONE O[censored]S WHO HAS A COMPLAINT AGAINST THIS TERRIBLE CRIME OF FRAUD OF PEOPLE WHO ARE STEALING OUR IDENTITY &...

Afni, Inc. — terrible crime

I also received a letter from Afni on 1/17/07 from a fraudulent account dated back to 1992. I called Verizon and they have no such record of this account. Afni said that I had to fill out a form on there web site with more personal information on it to disputed the claim. I certainly don't feel comfortable giving out my personal information in this manner. Any advice would be helpful.

Frustrated...

Afni, Inc. — afni, inc. is a spam!

I am 22 and i just received the same type of letter on 1/02/07 for an account that was open in 1998 i was 13 at the time the company keeps giving me the run around on phone and also said i would have to go to their web site and fill out a fraud form, the web site is not even up, i was advised by a collections attorney to contact them in writing to cease with the collections process and clear my credit for what they are doing is against the law.

Afni, Inc. — AFNI, INC. IS STEALING!!!!!

I received the same notice from AFNI, claiming I owed over $500 to Verizon. I called the number (no answer) and tried to look up their website (no such site). I was confused but greatly relieved to find the many comments posted on the internet from others who are just as confused as I am. I filed a complaint with the BBB, and of course I have no intention of paying this false collection notice.

Afni, Inc. — they should pay for what they're doing!

I also just received a letter from afni dated 1/16/07, say I owed them $344.14. I don't even have an account with verizon nor have I had an account with GtE, which the letter states that Verizon was formerly GTE. I was trying to pull up the website when i came across this page. I feel a lot better knowing that this is a scam and not a Litgit bill. I was frantically trying to figure out what this collection was for. GTE and Verizon aren't even available where I live. I was afraid someone had used my name and ran up a bill. I am going to go ahead and try to log on to the web site but at least now I am a little more informed.

Afni, Inc. — fraud, fraud, and more fraud!

Just received notice 1/19/07 from AFNI for a verizon bill from 7 years ago at a phone number we've never had for $576.03. Not only does the notice itself look suspicious with lack of detail, but I'm also noticing that in searching the web for this AFNI, people are always giving a different P.O. box #. Kinda makes you wonder how many P.O. boxes they own doesn't it? This notice says P.O. box 4115

Afni, Inc. — major scam!

We just received a letter from Afni Collections too. Claiming, what seems to be their M.O., That we owe nearly $300 to Verizon Communications. I'm not sure how they get their information but the collection notice lists my wife's maiden name, which hasn't been her legal name for over ten years and the phone number they list shows our current area code but the prefix and number they list is from a phone we had when we lived outside the area code. This is a major scam!
          Same story here in Dallas! I received the letter 1/22 dated 1/16 from Afni collection for Verizon of $179.56 with a number that's never been mine. I waited on the phone for 45 minutes to talk to someone. I provided the Afni associate the Afni acct number of my letter and asked him to tell me the name, which he couldn't, so I disconnected. I also contacted Verizon, which has no record of any debt for me, and even verified it with my SSN.

FYI, here is the info from my letter to see if it matches:
          Afni, Inc PO Box[protected]

Of course, I am reporting them to the BBB and would encourage everyone else to do the same.
          My wife just told me we received a collections notice stating that we owed over $250 on a bill to a phone number we never had, over 15 years ago! When you call, the number is busy and a recording asks you to either A: Leave all your information, social security, phone numbers, birth date, etc on the recording or B: Give them your mailing address for a "fraud packet" they'll send out and in that put all the above information....WHAT!!! If it walks like a duck....This not only borders on fraud, who in there right mind would give out this kind of info? It seems to have Verizon as a willing partner because that is who the initial contact is with!!!

Afni, Inc. — fraud, fraud, ..fraud!

Ahh! I received a letter today stating the same thing! It says my husband owes $137.12 to Verizon Communications and the number listed as the billing telephone number is from a state my husband has not been a resident in for over 10 years! Not to mention we're not even with Verizon!!!! I am considering contacting the local authorities . The address on my letter is: Afni, Inc. PO Box 3427, Bloomington, IL[protected]

Hope this helps someone.

Afni, Inc. — what a scam!

Wow what a scam. I didn't even remember this # until a hour later when i realized it was from 1997. a decade ! i payed this sooo long ago it was when usc football was still marginal ! raving was played out but still a functioning scene ! and OJ & Clinton (bill) were Jnny Carson punchlines !!!!!

Afni, Inc. — FRAUD: AFNI, INC.

They're trying to stick my for 200 bucks too, i smelled fraud the second i opened the envelope, because i knew i didn't owe it. Glad to have found this board in about five seconds with google. I am sending the registered letters to all the addresses.

But also i went to: https://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/MailFraudComplaint.htm

AND REPORTED THEM FOR MAIL FRAUD! YOU SHOULD ALL DO THIS TOO!!!!!
          It's really easy to fill out the form. Sic the postmaster general on these cheap con artists who use mail fraud to pray upon those dumb enough to pay them.

There is a special place in hell for these kind of losers.

Afni, Inc. — Afni, Inc. is a FRAUD!!!!!!!!!!!!

My boyfriend just received a letter from AFNI too. They said that he owes a large sum of money to Verizon under an account and phone number that never belonged to him. We are not sure what to do. Obviously there are numerous other people being threatened with the same letters.

I found some other complaints on www.ripoffreport.com and someone advised the victims to send a typed validation letter to the company and to ONLY type your name at the bottom (don't sign it)! And they said to keep a copy for yourself as evidence.
          Does anyone know if this is a good idea or not? What else should be done to stop it from being put on my boyfriend's credit?

Afni, Inc. — serious matter!

Got one of these the other day, dated January 16th and mailed from Concord, California. The PO Box is 3427 on mine. I spoke with my attorney this afternoon and she advised I send a certified letter demanding proof of debt, which they have to provide to legally collect on one. I already filed complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and Better Business Bureau and I suggest everyone else do the same.

I can't imagine how this company could have mixed up so many people's names, addresses, and credit info with real, very old past-due accounts. I'd imagine they'll have some serious explaining to do!

It doesn't appear as though our names and SS numbers were used to fraudulently open Verizon land-line accounts, though that looks like the case at first glance. There is absolutely nothing on my credit report that says I ever had a Verizon phone number, let alone a past-due account with them dating back ten years! If our credit is affected by Afni's mistake, however, we all have grounds for a seriously damaging class-action lawsuit.

Afni, Inc. — Add me to the very long list of complaints!

Add me to the list. Got mine in the mail today, again, a Verizon account I never had. The PO Box on this one is 3427 as well. Tried calling and got the "could not answer" message. File a complaint with the FTC and will draft a letter to AFNI demanding proof of debt. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Afni, Inc. — this crime has to stop!

Well as seeing what everyone else is writing..I got the same letter dated January 16th saying I owe 135.43
          which also the phone number listed is not even mine..and I have not had Verizon in three years.When I called Verizon they told me that they had sold some of there old accounts to this company called Afni, INC.
          I was soooooo pissed when I got this letter thinking someone got my info or this is fraud. also what the hell is Verizon doing selling our info to another company. especially when some o[censored]s hasnt had Verizon in so many years. I have not been able to contact Afni, yet (in 2 days) I have been trying just about every half hour, but get that same BS message about heavy call volume so call back later. Verizon even verified my account saying it was in 2004 and nothing else was needed. I also noticed verizon on my credit report from last year and I meant to question it and now I guess it needs to be done. I also did a search on Afni, and nothing but fraud pops up everywhere. well like the others I am going to the BBB and the FTC. Someone else had said that they contacted Afni and asked for the proof of the debt and Afni told them that they can not send them the info...bogus....well lets all get it done.. They need to be stopped.

Afni, Inc. — Afni, Inc. is the WORST SPAM THERE IS!!!!!

Afni stating I owe verizion acct. When in fact I've never owned a cell phone. Afni do not answer there phones and verizion say they sold afni the info.

Afni, Inc. — No Response

I called Verizon. No records for me or my social. They said they were getting tons of calls. They do use AFNI, but the number listed is not the #.

Whats really going on. Scammers sent out collections letters, Put up a website that is https which means they are afnicollections but not the real AFNI company. They are hoping that 1 out of a 1000 o[censored]s will pay or give up our banking #'s. They are not even going to get a certified letter, because it will be returned. Verizon and the real AFNI are aware of this and should do all the real work to put a stop to this.

We caught them on this one.

Thanks to Google for finding this board rather quickly.

Afni, Inc. — Bogus Collection Letter!

I hope this helps. The company is owned by Walter William Anderson. The company is also known as Anderson Financial Network. The physical address is 7304 Fox Bluff Pl, Prospect, KY 40059. Here is some phone numbers you might find helpful as well[protected] and[protected]. I got one of these letters also and my attorney was able to get this information.

Afni, Inc. — Rip off from Afni, Inc.!

I got a collection letter dated 1-11-07, for $446.and had NO IDEA what it could possibly be for! I've been FREAKING OUT ! Sorry it has happened to so many people, but I'm glad I found this site so at least now I have an idea of what's going on. Glad I found you guys! I guess the next step is the BBB and the FTC. Thanks. (And, Prospect, Ky is 15 mins from my house--kinda crazy!!)

Afni, Inc. — urgent demand!

Received demand for $2844.13 on Airtouch Cellular (out of business) for a closed account over 10+ years ago paid in full. Lots of Google hits regarding this scam. Looks like they bought up a bunch of bogus very old questionable closed accounts from national companies, added 10 yrs interest, and did a mass mailing hoping to victimize a few people.

Afni, Inc. — Afni, Inc. is A FRAUD

I just got a phone call from Afni stating my husband owes $3,623.80 for a GTE phone bill from 1996. My husband didn't even live in the state they said the phone bill was from at the time and when he did live there is lived with family. This is from 11 years ago and they are just now contacting us? I don't think so. Why would a phone company shut off a phone before it got to $3600.? This is crazy.

Afni, Inc. — mail fraud!

Yep. got one here in Atlanta. Probably mail fraud as well. I cant imagine them paying for all those stamps. they probably get you when you fill in your info on some wacky site. Love the power of the internet- im not calling anyone or doing anything- Great site

Afni, Inc. — how could they do this?!!!!!!!!!

I have received two collection letters from this company today. The only thing is they claim that I own Alltel two different amounts, and that they will settle for a lesser sum, provided that I pay it. I have never in my life had any account with Alltel. How can they do this? What can one do to correct or stop this?

Afni, Inc. — worst crime!

Oh yeah, and DO NOT give Afni Collections any additional personal information about yourselves! They will only use it to victimize you further.

Afni, Inc. — old bill dated from '02!

I just got one of these letters and I am STEAMING! I called up the number and gave the rep hell, told her I knew it was a fricking scam and I had my cancelled check as proof of payment, that I had a verizon account back in 02. She wanted me to send her the check, I told her no way in hell was she getting anything with my banking information on it. She asked me if I was working, wanted my phone number. HA fat chance you swindler!

The PO box # on mine is 3517 - interesting how none of them are the same isn't it?
          I just wrote to Verizon and told them these type of antics are an abomination and they should be aware of it and do something. I am on a rampage they are going to regret messing with us folks. BBB & FTC next stop.

Afni, Inc. — These rip-offs must be punished for what they are doing!

I received a collections notice from Afni, Inc., also Afni Collections stating that I owed Verizon Communications a bill for an outrageous amount of $637.25. I only owe Verizon for my current phone service.

Verizon stated that I only owe for my current bill. I have never at anytime ever owed Verizon this amount. If I ever did, I seriously doubt if I would have any type of phone service available to me today.

When I went to their website, it is a fake too! These ripoff con artists need to be stopped and prevented from pulling this with anyone else. Also from causing Verizon a needless bad reputation.

The phone number they are using on the bill they sent to me is not even my correct phone number. These rip-offs need stopped and punished for what they are doing and trying to do!
          Comments United States Collections Agencies
          Share with others:
          You marked this complaint as useful
          More complaints on "Afni Collections"

Afni, Inc. — Wrongful verizon bill!

Add another pissed off individual to the list of scammed by Afni. I did some research after I received a collection notice yesterday pertaining to a "so called" past due balance owed to Verizon Communications and found multiple complaints on this website in regards to fraudulent notices sent by Afni. We ALL must take the advice of Michelle & Jaymes and file complaints with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission)! Hopefully, if they get enough complaints, they will consider doing an investigation and stop them!!!

Afni, Inc. — Verizon Bill Claim

Same thing happened to me!!! The address on my collection notice was Bloomington, IL P.O. Box 3427. I am calling Verizon right now and I have already typed out my request for a DEBT VALIDATION. I read on some other sites that we should dispute the collection notice in writing and demand to see the original signed contract as well as a full account history and itemization of charges. I hope this works out for everyone.

By the way, I think the verizon number that they provided for me was from back when I was in college about 9 years ago. I just bought a house and would have thought that this would have come up before hand.

Ok, Just got off the phone with Verizon.... apparently Verizon recently sold all their delinquent accounts to AFNI and so AFNI has begun to send out these collection notices. Verizon confirmed that the account was real and that AFNI is legit. When I asked why it hadn't shown up on my credit beforehand the ice Verizon lady said that Verizon never used to report their delinquent accounts to the credit agencies.

I suggest you all call Verizon and find out for yourself!

Afni, Inc. — fraud payment!

I received a bogus complaint in the mail form Verizon Communication demanding a payment that I never owed. The letter form Afni said I have to comply within 30 days or suffer a judgment against my credit. Who is Afni and were do they get their information. If you call the 800 number the recording states call back another time all agents are busy. I f there is a way to stop this fraud from happening to other people I would be willing to help.

Afni, Inc. — help!

My mom has also received a collection notice from Afni..it was dated 01/19/07 with the P.O. Box 3427. The amount due was $145.05 and to Verizon Communications. Every time I call the number on the notice, I always get a machine that either says it cannot connect me due to an overload or one that simply keeps asking me to choose between English or Spanish. I am only 17 years old, and my mom does not understand English. I have never had any experience in dealing with this. Can anyone please help me on disputing this claim? I have no clue on what or how to do this.
          Thanks!

Afni, Inc. — Afni, Inc. is charging for payments people don't owe in the first place

On 1/22/07 I sent out two identical Debt Validation Letters to BOTH addresses found on our notice . I sent them registered mail with return receipt. I included both addresses in the letters I sent so they would know I sent it to both departments. I also wrote the registered mailing numbers right on the letters before I sealed and mailed them. I have yet to receive the receipts back yet. Just for this trouble it's cost me almost $10 in mailing fees for something I don't owe!

Copy of the letter I used can be found at http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/sampleletter9.shtml

BTW: my notice did not say not to contact Verizon. I did not call either Verizon or AFNI, I'm not wasting my time calling when only things in writing are legal proof of anything.

Talking about a Class Action suit is well and good, but who is actually going to hire the attorney to get one going? I'm sure there are enough people to get one, but someone has to actually get the ball rolling.

Afni, Inc. — add me to the fraudulent bills' list

Hi, I also received a bill from Afni. I called Verizon as well and they said that they didn't have anything on me. But they also told me that Afni does do their collections. Verizon gave me the number to Afni, which was different than the one list, to see if it was legit. When I called I did have a very long wait, but eventually a person answered. I asked the dates on this, which was for 1994. I also asked the last known address, which was my parents. I was going through a divorce at that time, and that would have been the last forwarding address. Needless to say I paid it, and over the phone on my bank account. They only took out the amount $170.00, and have posted nothing further. So just as a precaution, has everyone looked at where they were at the time of the bills to see if they might be legit? Hopefully I won't get messed over, and will post if anything else is posted against my account. They said I would receive a receipt, but I only paid it 3 days ago so none have arrived yet. I could also log onto their web site and it brought up the account, but no dates.
          yeah sure, like that helps the CRIME OF FRAUD THEY'RE DOING!

Afni, Inc. — DO NOT CALL THEM OR GIVE THEM YOUR ADDRESS!

To all those that paid AFNI, I'm sorry for your loss. If you check your credit report you'll see that AFNI has made a soft inquiry of your credit report. To my knowledge, the credit report (for collection of debt purposes) shows past addresses. I called the number found on the AFNI site (after calling the # listed on the letter that was sent to me, interestingly also sent on the 16th) and spoke with a rep that told me the bill was some former phone company at an old address that I lived at for 2 months and was transferred over to Verizon). I told him to go "blank" himself and hung up. Later I got a call from another rep (I did not divulge my number so they must have traced the call) and he said that they made a mistake and gave me another address that was listed as a billing address and asked me if I had lived there. Basically I told him to go "blank" himself, as well. This is an obvious ploy to get your money - Just because they have your address and or previous address doesn't mean you owe them anything!trust me ive done it and been through it myself with this afni, inc. which is a bunch of fraud!

Afni, Inc. — Afni, Inc.:liars, liars, pants on fire!!

Yeah, so I just got one of these bills in the mail saying that I owed Afni for a Verizon account. But the problem is that I never even had a telephone in my name nor have I ever payed for an account from a relative. Best believe that I'm gonna give these punks a piece of my mind. I'm gonna follow everyone else's lead and go to the BBB and the FTC.
          beware afni not only does collections for verizon but also they do customer care, e-services, tech (wdts) welcome call, and many more departments for dish network, verizon wireless, sprint/embarq, cingular, and who knows what else. i would know i used to work "soft collections" for dish network through afni. you wold know it as financial services. the debts i dealt with were valid and current for people who just had tv services shut off or ar in risk of being disconnected, but in the afni/dish contract it allowed any card used on the acct that made payment to be auto batched if any debt owed for services or equipment( which means if you had poor old grandma make payment one time for you and you fell behind on the bill the card or acct info she used to make payment will be debited the debt before you even have any time to make final payment so send back leased equipment. but i do not doubt the old debt letters i suspect afni sends out these letters to see who will pay them they are a company teetering on the edge of existence and if you have services with any of the providers above ask if they are afni employees before conducting any business with any dept. they have to tell you they are outsourced ( "upsourced", "vendor") and they have to get you to a direct agent if you request one.
          i check my credit, saw a bill appear in my credit from vorizon in the address in merriland i never been in the place like that and i don't even kno where is merriland baltimore located i want this bill out of my credit now before i follow law suit agains your company afni the address been giving to me is the 2914 pright seat RD sbroke, merriland 20706 and i don't even kno anyone in merriland in my life i want this bill out of my credit with in 15 day and iam waiting for in answer this bill is$3241 dollars thats is going to be huge problem?
          milien theogene. my address is 3777 46st apt#6 san diego ca 92105 thats where i leave.

Afni, Inc. — Letter

My grandmother is in tears because AFNI sent her a letter for an unpaid debt of 107.00 for a verizon cell phone. She has never had a cell phone and they want her to prove she did not own one. Furthermore, they have her address as a different state when she supposedly owned this cell phone. My grandmother has lived in the same house for over 50 years.

The worrisome aspect of the AFNI letter is her correct SS#, date of birth, and address is on the letter. I am very concerned becuase of identity theft. Did AFNI have the same level of detailed information on the letters other have received?

What did others do to get AFNI to correct the false claims against them? Any advice would be wonderful.
          So was it legit or what? They sent me a "settlement offer" on an account I don't recognize for $160.00. I'm not buying this bull . I looked at their site afnicollections.com and it doesn't look legit. It's like a site anyone could pay for, it's very basic and not helpful whatsoever.

Recently Discussed

Afni, Inc.
            Fraudulent 11 year old verizon bill!
            Afni, Inc.
            definitely a fraud going on!
            Afni, Inc.
            fradulent bills from Afni, Inc.!!!!!
            Fraud and Cheating!
            Afni, Inc.
            Add Alaska to the VERY LOOONG LIST!!!