[Resolved]  HDBC BANK LTD — Incomplete Information

This is to bring to your kind notice that the services provided by the Sector-18 Noida Branch is deteriorating day by day. There are two instances which I can quote here to justify my statement.

a) I deposited a check worth HKD 6, 323 on 23-Jul-2008 (Wednesday) with the branch at the last counter situated on First Floor directly. After two days gap, I got a call from the same branch that they do not deal with HKD cheque and this would require a two way conversion. On this I told the lady that you should have told me this thing when I handed over the cheque to you. On this she told me that she needs to confirm back and would get back to me. Then I got another call next week (either Monday /Tuesday) from another lady and she wanted to confirm from me whether I want to continue with the cheque credit process or not. I told her that now I do not have any choice since we already wasted 4 days and it should have been told to me upfront that the HDFC Bank does not directly deal with HKD. I also tried to find out from her if there would be any loss b’cos of two way exchange (HKD  USD and then USD INR) to which she told me that there would be no loss at all and it would take 21 working days from the cheque deposit date to be credited into my account. Now when I had a conversation with Mr. Ashwani (Relationship Manager) day before yesterday, he told me that your cheque will be credited into the account on 25th Aug 2008 (this is more than 21 working days) and there might be variation in the amount in case of two way exchange process involved. I am damn sure that there will be difference in the amount credited and I can prove the same if the bank provides me the exchange rate for HKD –USD and USD –INR and HKD—INR directly of the day when the cheque hit the HSBC Hong Kong Bank

b) The other issue which I wanted to highlight is still more surprising and truly reflects that the banks policies are not clear even to the staff dealing directly with the branch. I once visited the same branch somewhere in Jan’08 and met Mr. Surya Kant. He told me that since I am holding a good balance in the account, I can be switched to the Classic customer and just needs to fill one form. I filled up the form and handover the same to him. However, I did not take care to find out what is the status of the application as I went out of the country for short term assignment. After coming back I again had a chance to visit the bank for some different purpose. This time I met a different person Mr. Nitin Kapoor who also told me that I can be switched to classic customer. I told him that I already applied but I do not have the status. On this he told me that no issues and he would get it done within 7 days. I called him after one week but he did not replied. After making several calls to him and getting no response, I lodged the compliant through internet. On this I received a call from Mr. Ashwani who listened to the whole story again and told me that he would get back to me the next day. This gentleman kept his promise and called me next day in the evening again. During the call he handed over the call to Mr. Surya Kant who told me that I cannot be switched to Classic customer because it requires to have family accounts with the bank. On this I asked him that incase of bachelor person, what is the criteria. On this he told me that actually a person should be having multiple accounts with the bank to switch to the classic account category and also told me to read the guidelines available on the bank website for more details. Now here is the text mentioned on the bank website.
“You can avail of these privileges as an HDFC Bank Classic customer if you maintain an account with us in your individual capacity and meet the following eligibility criteria.

A minimum Average Quarterly Balance of just Rs.1 Lakh in Savings Bank account (this can be maintained across Savings Bank accounts of you and your immediate family (i.e. spouse/ parents/ children))

(OR)

A minimum Average Monthly Balance of just Rs 5 Lakh in a combination of Savings Bank account and Term Deposit (this can be maintained across accounts of you and your immediate family (i.e. spouse/ parents/ children)).”

Kindly look into the matters and resolve at the earliest.

Chirag Mittal