ICICI Bank Credit Card — HARASSMENT FROM ICICI BANK OFFICIALS REGARDING ALLEGED DUES OF CREDIT CARD
Malad (W), Maharashtra, India
Rakesh K. S.
November 28, 2012
The ICICI Bank
SUBJECT: HARRASMENT FROM ICICI BANK OFFICIALS REGARDING ALLEGED DUES OF CREDIT CARD
Dear Madam / Sir,
This is to bring to your notice, the harassment, me and my wife have been facing from your ICICI bank officials asking us to pay an amount which as per the bank is unpaid but as a matter of fact had been paid, followed upon and the case duly settled with the bank 6-7 years ago. With respect to the subject matter we would like to put on record the following facts:
(1) My wife, Abhilasha Bajpai, was the customer of your reputed Bank since 2003 and was using the Credit Card issued by your Bank to her somewhere between 2005-06.
(2) In 2006 the last outstanding amount of approx Rupees 15,000/- was paid in cash by us as a regular monthly payment process at your branch situated at Samarth Vaibhav, Andheri (W). We had also asked the officials at your bank that we wanted to discontinue the card for which we were advised that we should inform the ICICI credit card department. Accordingly, we duly informed to the credit card department and also as per the instructions of your officials we had destroyed the card. After a period of 2-3 months we again received a statement from the bank containing the old due with interest aggregating approx. to Rs.33,000/- . We were shocked receive such statement after clearing all the dues. The card was in fact supposed to be deactivated but on the contrary we received a statement after three months of deactivation from our end. We complained about the issue to the credit card department. After several phone calls to the credit card department based out of your Andheri East office, we were asked to get the cash deposit confirmed form your Samarth Vaibhav Bank Branch. We visited your Samarth Vaibhav branch and enquired with your officials about it. After conducting enquiring with us about the approx date of deposit, the branch officers checked and informed us that the amount is reflecting in the suspense account of bank and the same will be adjusted against the payment shown pending in our card and will be taken care of. The officials then also coordinated with the Andheri east branch and the emails were also exchanged and thus the case was settled.
(3) A few months after the settlement of the issue, when there was a cash deposit in my wife, Abhilasha Bajpai’s ICICI Bank savings account (Parent Branch - Raipur) I got to know that the bank has held back Rs.33,000/- (approx) and upon enquiry we were told that it has been held against our credit card outstanding payment. We again coordinated with your credit card department and forwarded them the mails exchanged by the Samarth Vaibhav Branch & the Andheri (E) credit card dept. branch, upon which the held back amount was released.
(4) After all effort from our end to sort out the issue, which is in fact an accounting error at your end, 4-5 years later we again started getting calls from ICICI bank officers asking for the same payment. We once again repeated the entire past history to make them understand the fact of the matter but all in vain.
(5) Needless to say that we have tried explaining to so many different people numerous times and then the next time there is some different person calling us again asking for the payment. The standard statements that we get form these people are that it’s not updated in our system so it does not matter if it was sorted out back then. Then they ask for proofs of the settlement, which were few emails and a slip given from the bank that we obviously did not keep for us after 5 years considering the issue sorted (which it was).
(6) The harassment from these people (so called ICICI representatives) is extreme. They are abusive while talking to us and specially with Abhilasha, they make statements like:
(a) ‘You are a defaulter and elusive case because you have changed your phone numbers’ – We assume it is a free country and we can change our contact number as many times as we like…
(b) ‘We know where you work and where you live’ – what does this kind of threats mean?
(c) ICICI representatives have shown up on Abhilasha’s reception while she was in a meeting. They had come to our residence and spoke to our neighbors while we were not at home.
(d) A lady once called Abhilasha and said ‘I am calling from Nagpur High Court and that a case has been registered against you with respect to the ICICI Credit Card payment, you need to come here immediately for the hearing’ and mind you even this talking was done in a goon like manner.
(e) A guy once called up saying I am a cop calling on behalf of ICICI and you better pay up the money.
(f) Then again whenever the ICICI representatives have called up and we tried to explain the situation to them nicely…they insisted that we pay up ‘something’ a sort of settlement amount and asked us what was the amount that we would be ready to pay? To which we said nothing because we didn’t owe the bank anything.
(g) Abhilasha has been threatened several times, your representatives have also given statements like ‘we will not leave you alone and we will come visit you, we know all your details. We need to close this case as it is the year end for us, it’s better that you settle.’
(h) The harassment has gone to the level of your people calling 70-100 times during the day (from this number [protected]) on our cell phones, home and office landlines and talking in unacceptable manners lot of times.
(i) On 25th November 2012, Sunday, my co-worker based at Delhi got a call from the same number and was told false fiction that Mr. Rakesh & Mrs. Abhilasha are disconnecting our calls after abusing us and then not making payments. Today again while my Delhi colleague was in a meeting he was called 16 times from the same number when he was unable to pick and then harassed again. Also the receptionist at my office got call and threatened by the person from same number and asked her to give him the number of the MD & CFO of my company. The person did call 2 more of my co-workers here at my office and told them similar things.
(j) Similar calls went to Abhilasha’s Delhi office today and the person is telling them that Abhilasha is a fraudster and the company should take action against her and he wants to speak to their CFO and VP-HR here at Mumbai office. Some other female colleagues of her were also called up and spoken to extremely rudely and threatened that they better ask Abhilasha to pay up her loan amount that she had taken 7 years ago. (the story that is told to people is also changed quite often) Besides which the Delhi and Mumbai office is continuously getting harassing calls from the same number.
ARE WE EVEN LIVING IN A CIVILIZED WORLD???
(7) Funny enough this kind of persistent follow-up has been done only this year after almost 7-8 years of the incident which itself is questionable. It seems that this late follow-up on a resolved case is being done intentionally, knowing that we will not have any proof on us and we can be extorted with some kind of money by the agency representing ICICI.
(8) The most shocking thing is that your officials are calling people known to us in our family and workplace and trying to tarnish & destroy our image & reputation by telling them that we are not paying back the money to ICICI which we don’t OWE in the first place!!! And also harassing them. This kind of harassment is a form of Psychological Harassment which aims to humiliate or weaken our morale. We are now in serious trauma and this Psychological Harassment has a demoralizing effect on our mental peace. We are shocked and surprised by the illegal, unauthorized, malafide and dishonest attitude taken by your officers and your agents. All this is very unprofessional and highly unacceptable from a reputable organization such as yours and the entire process of asking someone to revert on a matter as old as this is completely uncalled for.
(9) The aforesaid facts were brought to the notice of your officials/employees/representatives and time and again we requested your officials/employees/representatives to look into the matter and make necessary rectification of the past accounting error that occurred at your end. However we have not yet received any positive response or reaction from the Bank in this behalf. Hence I am lead to believe that we are left with no choice but to file a criminal complain on the ground of harassment against certain officials of the Bank and also knock the doors of the consumer court for the defective services provided by your Bank. Moreover, the Bank shall also be responsible and liable to pay compensation on account of the loss caused to our mental health.
(10) You are well aware of the R.B.I. Guidelines laid down in respect of collection/repayment of dues/loans. Further you are also aware that you are liable for the acts of your agents. Being a Banking institution of immense repute, I, further call upon you to take the strictest action against your officers and agents for their conduct towards me and my wife.
(11) I thus call upon you to restrain your officers and agents from harassing me and my wife, for payment of alleged dues and to stop calling us and also to people known to us in our family or work place. If this conduct towards me and wife continues, I shall be left with no other alternative but to adopt appropriate proceedings against the Bank and its officers at their risks as to costs and consequences, which please note.
(1) The Nodal Officer
ICICI Bank Ltd
Bandra Kurla Complex
(2) Senior Officer of Police
Economic Offences Wing
(3) Senior Officer of Police
Charkop Police Station
Mumbai 400 067
|5 Comments Updated:||Share0Tweet0|