Immigration Authority — IMPOUNDING OF PASSPORT

I was travelling out of the country on 3rd May and was not allowed to exit by the immigration authorities as they claimed that my passport was damaged. The plastic lamination on the behind page had come out because of poor quality of lamination used. Hence for no fault of mine and for the inferior quality of passport issued I could not travel and this amounted to not only great loss of business for me but also valuable foreign exchange for the country. To my surprise I have found that many passports issued around the year[protected] are having the same problem, whereas my earlier passport issued in 1990 is still good. I think an investigation into the contractors awarded the contract for lamination alongwith the specifications of the same would unearth some unscrupulous practices that may have taken place.

Also the immigration officer at Mumbai airport has impounded my passport with a remark "damaged passport". My question is does the immigration rules permit the impounding of a passport just because it is damaged, or is this action of the immigration officer just out of high handedness with some ulterior motive.

Savio Alves
[protected]@hotmail.com

Comments

I have an e visa for singapore but there is a small watermark on the photo page lamination is perfectly fine just wanted to know will there be any problems during immigration check.
i agree with you the same case happened with me while i was on my way for business trip to Dubai, Passport was impounded by the immigration authority due to lamination coming out and was send back to the issuing passport office, later i had to meet the RPO personally and had to re apply for the new passport.
its a long process i got my passport after almost 2months.

if anyone needs help with regards to this matter you can send across the email [protected]@hotmail.com

SK
[protected]@hotmail.com
In INDIA Claiming a passport to be damaged and impounding it has become a big business and especially when you have a urgent travel need.

It's usually done by a person at the immigration counter who would not even be a 12th grade pass awaiting his promotion, totally unaware of the consequences the latter has to suffer. Financial Physical Mental all he cares is his promotion and his basic salary increase. PLUS

Due to the time frame the normal cost of making a new passport goes up 10, 000 times apart from and not considering the broker agents and regular fees. AS the whole thing boils down to huge financial back log for months to come due to your inefficiency to travel and work.

Passport Officers also claim of cleaning the middle men system by only favoring their selected few brokers agents who reside in an around their place of residence so furnishing accounts is easy.

Recently the passport authority have also banned or stopped many agents who used to assist only the corporates.
There is always a way to be efficient however I FEEL the basic reasoning is never done due to lack of basic education among the labor class like mentality people hired in the passport and immigration department of INDIA.

Complaint categoryCategory: Other