[Resolved]  Munim di Hatti — Cancer Patient Concession

Phone - 0091-[protected]

24th October 2009

Re: Cancer patient harrassment

Respected Railway Minister

On 11th October 2009 I booked tickets to travel to New Delhi for my monthly throat cancer check up. I am writing to bring this to your notice that I was refused the cancer patient concession that I normally get whilst travelling to New Delhi and back (to Amritsar).

I am highly disappointed because of your service, as it has caused me both physical and mental harrassment. In the past I have been granted concession when booking from New Delhi to Amritsar whereas this time when the booking was being made from the Amritsar Railway Station, I was refused the concession even though I had the concession letter from Rajiv Gandhi Hospital which was also presented in front of the station master. The reason given for not approving the concession letter from the hospital was that the letter was addressed to Station Master of Indian Railways and not to the Station Master of Amritsar. I have never had an objection from the New Delhi railway station regarding this and believe that the Amritsar station master comes under Indian railways as well.

I would grately appreciate if you could look into this matter and get back to us asap. The tickets have costed us a fortune for this journey. Enclosed is a copy of the concession letter from the hospital.

I look forward to hearing from you and to a resolution of this problem. I will wait for 2 weeks before seeking help from higher athorities. Please contact me at the above address or by phone.
Yours sincerely
Ashok Sharma

Cancer Patient Concession

Comments

Not quite similar issue, but related.

I got my mom operated at Apollo, Blore and she has to travel frequently from Hospet to Blore for Chemo and radiation cycles. Apollo gave the concession form duly signed, however, when I went to book tickets for her, the personnel said they got a circular from Commercial Services Division not to provide any concessions to patients from private hospitals and I need to go to the approved hospital that is Kidwai in Blore.

I wonder how Kidwai provides the same certificate as they are not treating my mom.

By not recognizing private hospital doctor's letter, does Indian Railways doubting the treating doctor's morality or the passenger's is the question?
A similar attitude was shown at the Indore railway station on 06 jul 2010. They said the form needs to be addressed to the station master and not indian railway
ATTITUDE AT RAIL RESERVATION WINDOW IS ALSO NOT GOOD