[Resolved]  Sony Cybershot DSC - H1 — Exorbitant Repair Estimate By Sony Service Centre Without Analysis

I bought Sony cybershot DSC-H1 one and a half years back from US. It served me well until a recent trip, where it developed a de-focussing problem so all I could see was very blurred pictures. I took it to the Sony Service Center in Bangalore (Indiranagar) and they told me that they would have to change the entire lens structure and it would cost me 18000 INR which is very ironic because my camera cost me 14000 INR to begin with. I asked them to explain the issue with the camera and I got an unintelligible response - "There has been a lens contamination due to moisture. The lens has developed fungus and we will have to change the lens". I do not know whether the support staff was defining his intelligence level or mine with that response but that's about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life. I, then, took the camera to another repair center which happens to be authorized service center for canon and they told me that the problem is with the motor and would cost 3200 INR to repair.
I have heard similar stories from my other friends who were advised by Sony service centers to go for costly replacements when their equipment, infact, worked perfectly fine despite not going for them.
I do not know if my camera will be repaired but my trust in Sony seems to be damaged beyond repair.

Mokshi

Comments

Though i have a different kind of a problem like the vibration of the lens, i took it to the same indranagar center and even i am facing the same type of problem with the staff. Its pathetic to have such a large corporation to have such a irresponsible approach towards their customers.

Nasir Hussain

+[protected]

I have a cyber shot 5 months old which has moisture contamination in the lens. But, as there were no accidents that led to this mishap. I would wish to have a free repair done, honouring my warranty claim

Best Regards
Roopan

Sony India
    Sony India Phone
    Sony India Address
    No 14/43 Hameedia Centre 2nd Floor, Haddows Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India - 600034