[Resolved]  TechMahindra Ltd. — Physical assault by a Traffic police

The following incident took place on 9th June 2009 at 10:20 AM.

I was driving my bike (Bajaj Calibre MH 15 AD 4553) on Law College road and coming towards Senapati Bapat Road. The right turn to Bhandar Road from Law college was blocked for some time but on the above day it was open and the signal was on. The signal turned yello when I came close to the junction hence I applied my brake and my bike stopped on the zebra crossing. There were many bikers around me. Suddenly a traffic police came from Bhandarkar road and started asking about my license. I showed him the original license and asked what has happened. He took the keys of my bike and asked me to park the vehicle on the road side. When I did that he told me that I was standing on the zebra crossing and hence he wanted me to pay the fine.
I tried to explain him but he did not listen. I was getting late for the office so I asked him to get the fine and let me go. He punched me on my face and threatened that he will put me behind the bars. Fortunately I was wearing a helmate so his fist just dashed my upper lip on the left corner. My upper lip was started bleeding inside on the left corner and was immediately swollen.

Another officer came near to me when this has happened. The traffic police then asked me to pay the fine to another policeman who was standing on the Bhandarkar road corner. I protested and argued with him that he has no right to physically assault me and he kept threatening me to put me behind the bars.

He handed over my keys to the other policeman. I paid Rs. 100 and took the receipt (Receipt no. 0851518) and keys. I then asked the ploice officer why they are only targetting people like us and why not the Rikshaws who never follows any traffic rules (perhaps they might be getting regular hapta from them). But it was of no avail.

I was wondering about the policeman who hit me on my face. His name was VISHAL BORDE. I'm not sure whether these traffic police has any rights to physically assault the citizens and under what offence he wanted to put me in (in his language). I did not retaliate beacuse he was in the uniform and I did not want to land up in trouble.

I am thinking of lodging a complaint againt him in the police station but not sure whether it will lead to anything. But as a law abiding citizen this was a shock to me and I expect some action to be taken on this policeman.

Complaint categoryCategory: Other