I moved from Palakkad, Kerala to Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, in early 2010. I had brought along my Bajaj Pulsar 180cc bike, bearing registration number KL-51-4642, with me after getting a No Objection Certificate from RTA, Ottapalam, Palakkad District, Kerala.
Subsequently, after reaching Hyderabad, I went to the RTA office, Medchal, Hyderabad and completed all formalities, and paid a Life Time Road Tax for the State of Andhra Pradesh of Rs. 4670 plus an amount of Rs420. This itself took numerous visits till because RTA Medhcal, on my first visit around July-aug 2010 said the records I have submitted need to be cross checked with RTO Ottapalam. Finally, I was able to pay the above amount on 6/12/2010.
A tax token bearing challan number MEDCCO138/82531 was issued, and the officials said I could ply the vehicle in Andhra Pradesh with this token, and that a new Andhra Pradesh registration number and RC will be given as soon as they receive approval from RTO, Ottapalam. This was in Dec, 2012.
From then on, I made several visits to the RTO office, Kompally, for my Andhra Pradesh RC and number, even meeting up the RTO who directed me to someone else who in turn directed me to someone else. Same story, table to table, desk to desk. Each of them told me that they were waiting for approval from RTO, Ottapalam.
Finally, somewhere around June 2012, I was able to get my original Andhra Pradesh electronic RC card but with the same Kerala Registration number KL-51-4642. When I asked them about this, they told me that they were still waiting for approval from RTA, Ottapalam!!!!
This is March 2013, and I am confounded by these facts.
1) I am plying around in a vehicle with an RC issued by the state of Andhra Pradesh but bearing the registration number of Kerala!!!!
2) I want to sell the bike in Hyderabad as it has gotten old, but nobody wants to buy it because it has a Kerala registration number even though the RC is issued by RTA, Medchal.
3) I cannot sell the bike in Kerala because now nobpdy will buy it as it now carries an Andhra RC!!!
4) I fail to understand how RTA, Medchal collected all taxes and issued me an original RC but with the same,old Kerala registration number when they maintain that they have not received any correspondence from RTA, Ottapalam?
5) I have already spent more than RS.15,000 via life time road taxes in both states, transportation charges, numerous visits to RTA, Medchal, etc, and I am stuck with a bike that I cannot sell.
I request you to kindly treat this matter as urgent and high priority and get me an Andhra Pradesh state registration number for my bike. I am not sure what needs to be done because even after meeting the RTO, Medchal, a few times, I am still being shunted around.
Thank you in advance!