Kolkata Municipal Corporation — fire hazards due to illegal construction since last 9 years in violation of high court orders, fire safety norms and kmc rules
Kolkata, West Bengal, West Bengal, India
From : tenants of 35, 37 &amp; 45 jamunalal bajaj street, kolkata -7
The Director-General Building department
Read about the fire safety rule book and would like you to see the dangerous situation in which we tenants of buildings no 35, 37 and 45 jamunalal bajaj street, kolkata - 7 are living and no action is being taken since last so many years in spite of so many reminders, or the department is waiting for one more tragedy to happen like Stephen house, Manohardas katra, Nandram market and many more where fire safety norms and kmc rules were violated and overlooked and no action was taken by the concern department firstly from stopping the on going illegal construction and later by not demolishing the same.
Are we the next?
Fire-safety rule book
All buildings more than 14.5 metres high (four floors) need:
Building was already 20 meters and now it is 25 meters after illegal construction. (photo as a proof attached)
• Two sets of stairs on two sides for easy entry and exit.
Previously it was two and now it has put down to one and also the direction of the staircase is changed from the road side to interior of the building.(photo as a proof attached)
• A lift.
No lift installed at present but now it is being tried to installed illegally against KMC demolition order, Fire safety norms, Electric safety norms and above all against High court order.
• An additional water reservoir for firefighting.
• Easy passage to the roof for all occupants.
Roof is kept locked and it has been given on rent.
• Fire exit doors leading to the escape route.
No doors only one narrow entry and exit about 2-3 feet wide ( photo proof attached)
• No wooden stairs.
Only one stair case interior of the building
• A fire alarm system. Anyone discovering the fire should immediately call the fire brigade and for that the building owner/occupier shall provide manual call point systems to alert the occupants.
No way out for the occupier so question to reach fire alarm system is not possible
• The electrical shaft, electrical mains or meter not to be placed in front of the staircase or underneath the staircase used for exit.
It has been placed in front of the staircase recently in spite of several objections made to the CESC
• The electrical shaft, electrical mains and meter should be away from the building in a separate meter room, never in the way of the exit from the building.
It has been put in the way of the exit by the CESC in presence of Fire service department declaring it to be unsafe and even after several objections made.
• Exit signs and floor number signs should be placed on all floors.
No safe exist or say no exists so question of sigh and floor no NA
• The basement must not be used for any other purpose except parking.
All the above fire rules are violated in our buildings and further illegal construction continue to block the air and natural sunlight with illegal construction covering the gap in between the 2 buildings no 35 and 45 jamunalal bajaja street, kolkata - 7 (photo evidence attached)
Hide message history
If these norms are being flouted, you the occupant can alert the fire brigade (write to the director-general of West Bengal Fire and Emergency Services at 13D Mirza Ghalib Street, Calcutta 16) or/and the Calcutta Municipal Corporation (call the control room at 2286 1212/1313/1414 and ask for the director-general, buildings).
We have been writing since last 9 years to all the concern department but of no use, awaiting for someone who can really take action and is not part of this corrupted system
Please take necessary action immediately and save us from this fire hazards and please don't regularise such illegal construction for sake ofcearning some penalty money keeping lives of so many people at stake.
Tenants of 35 &amp; 45 jamunalal bajaj street, kolkata - 7
|4 Comments Updated:||Share0Tweet0|