[Resolved] Uber — Account disabled and asked for identity proof

Maharashtra, India
 arijit004u
I have been using the Uber cab facility for last few months and have more than 5 rides and 2 free rides. All of my rides have been in the Mumbai region. On 20th June 2015, I tried to avail the cab from Howrah station ( Kolkata). To my surprise the cab could not be booked. As I was in urgent need of the cab, I mailed the support team on priority. The support team replied saying that due to security reason my account has been blocked and I have to provide id proof and mobile number proof to reset the account. Firstly Uber is a private entity and it is not a government undertaking, so asking for ID proof is wrong. Though due to urgency, I captured a pic of my PAN card mailed the same to them. After a second reminder they replied that I have to provide the mobile number proof. This was too much for me, considering that I am standing in rain and waiting to book a cab. Firstly I want to know, was the government ID was not sufficient to verify my identity and moreover under what authority Uber is asking ID proof from their customer. Is this not a case of breach of customer privacy. They do not provide any information on what is the security breach that resulted in blocking of account and how they will maintain the privacy of my shared identity proof. Uber can be alluring considering the promotional offer, but in long run it has unethical practices in run. Also my 100 rs credit is now stuck in Uber account. Uber : [email protected] Phone number : [protected]

Account disabled and asked for identity proof
Complaint marked as Resolved Sep 27, 2015
They re activated my account after number of follow up and mails. I connected with UBER customer service on mail. They did not call me. Uber: [email protected]

Comments

Disgusting this is now happening with me now...
Same problem here. What gives them authority to ask for our ID proof? I am hiring a taxi for god's sake, not applying for passport.
Me too faced the same problem but i will not provide my Govt ID or Photo ID. I can not risk of my personal information to a private company either they continue the account or deactivate but awareness in people for not providing Govt. ID and photo is must because we are risking our personal Information in the name of security reason. Do we look like a terrorist or some fraud. If there is a security issue than why dont you asked from beginning and why you are doing it randomly.

Please I request all of my brothers and sisters to not provide them your personal information to a non Govt. entity, do not risk your personal Information in the name of security.

Suren
[email protected]'s reply, Jul 2, 2018
agree with u
Please my account is blocked so help in your side how many times I am looking to taxi but not ativeted so please check the details please
I have booked a ride from my home to airport which had charged me 190. Later on after 1 hr when again I booked an uber for returning home they charged me 400. How is it possible?? How can the fare for the same distance will vary this much??

Stupid Uber facility.

Send my money on [protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]'s reply, Jul 2, 2018
it could be 'off hrs' / surge pricing etc.. looks absurd, but possible
UBER PooL was disabled from my mobile application after sending a complain mail to UBER. (Issue was, Driver was not aware about the pick up/drop policy).
I installed the application again but dint find the option.

It has the worst customer service.
Uber Cab’s Customer Care Contact Number[protected] is not available.

Kindly update the correct & valid customer care contact details. As i am trying to reach your customer care since yesterday.
Anup Bhunia's reply, Apr 4, 2017
They are probably only interested in their cut money not interested in customer care, so forget it.
Same problem here
even my uber account is locked.. trying my best to make customer care ppl understand (i) how to take a screenshot of my phone nbr on windows phone.. agreed should have googled it.. (ii) now, they say, they can't find my phone number / is not valid...

Uber - Account disabled and asked for identity proof