Western Digital Complaints & Reviews

2.1
Last updated May 19, 2022

File a complaint to Western Digital

Having problems with Western Digital?

File a complaint and get it resolved by Western Digital customer care. It’s quick effective and absolutely free!

Western Digital

Western Digital Phone Numbers

Toll free
1800-200 5789

Western Digital reviews & complaints page 7

I want to buy external hdd and i found out that its cheaper in online shopping sites than in market. So i want to buy it online. But i am not sure about how will i get the warranty of hdd in case some problem occurs in it while it sin in guarantee. Can anybody tell me how its done?...
Hi eveyone!! I had bought a external hard disk from western digital from online shopping as i was getting it cheap from market. Now my hdd has got bad sectors and its still under guarantee. I contacted online shopping site customer care and they say that i have to send it myself to western digital for replacement. Please tell me how to do that?...

Western Digital — WD 2TB Hard Disk sent for Warranty Replacement but still not received

Western Digital has confirmed the Receipt of my Defective 2 TB Portable External Hard Disk for RMA #85956439 under Warranty Replacement. Since one month they are telling me everyday that I will receive the replacement product the next week as they are out of stock, but I'm still waiting for the shipment. I need the drive urgently as I have some very important data I need to backup. Please give me the drive within a couple of days or at least...

Hi..I have western digital external hdd of 500 gb which i am using it on my laptopt with windows 7 and its working fine. but when i connect it to my pc with windows xp, it does not get recognized. Although i can see it in disk management and hdd spins also, but its not shown in my computer explorer. How can i get it recognized there. i have important data to copy from my pc to hdd.
Hi rahul vishwas,

Based on your post, I am pasting a link below which shows exactly the same issue as yours and the cause for the same. It has the detailed description on how you can resolve the issue:

Hope it helps.
Thanks for the useful information. The software mentioned in the the link, DLG, is meant only for wd drives or can be used on other drives also.Actually i checked my samsung internal hdd with it, and it showed the results also. Is it ok to use it for other drives also, or it can cause some problems for other hdd's due to compatibility issues?
Hi rahul vishwas,

Thanks for your reply, the DLG is built to test any brand's hard drive as long as you are using it on a Windows PC. It will not have any bad impact on the hard drive. This software can further improve the performance of the drive. So there is no harm to use it for any other brand's hard drive.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for your kind help. The software DLG has proven very useful for me. Is there any software for making my hdd password protected?

2 tb Hard Disk Drive in s/n- wmc4m0758021 my computer is not working properly and it is a Western Digital Hard Disk Drive. Which was within Warranty warranty date is 14/9/2015 and please replace my hdd. my address is 370/11 ka near maqbara hata noor beg saadatganj lucknow-3 my contact is [protected]...

Hi. i have 500 gb external western digital hdd which is running fine. I want to know where to find the drivers in case pc stops recognizing it. And tips for healthy maintenance of hdd. And one more thing that, how can i check my hdd for bad sectors.
    Aug 6, 2021
    Hi sumit45,

You may download drivers for WD products from the link below:

For maintenance keep the hard drive in a safe place.

It should not fall down.

It should not be pressed with heavy weight.

Clean the stuff which you are not using or you don't need.

To check the bad sectors on HDD, you may run the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics.

Lincon_WD
    Does this data lifeguard diagnostics work with other make hdd's also?
    Hi sumit45,

This software meant to test all drives, you may use it to test other drives. But make sure you use it on Windows as it will not support the MAC OS.

Lincon_WD
    is there any software for making my hdd password protected?
    Hi sumit45,

The WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics works with all the drives if you are using Windows.

Due to limitations in Mac OSX, the drive will need to be connected to a PC running Windows in order to run our diagnostics.

Hi sumit45

WD provides a software called WD Security to make the hard drive password protected.
    You may download the WD Security from the link below:

To set up and use WD Security you may visit the link below:

This link has step by step guidelines to set up the WD Security.

Hope it will help you.

Hi..I recently bought a new wd hdd 500 gb and connected it as a secondary hdd with my old 160gb hdd.When my computer boots up it clearly shows up that 160gb hdd as primary and 500gb hdd as secondary hdd. however i can not see it in my computer. I can see it in device manager also. Why it is not showing up in my computer explorer?
      Hi s.abhijt,
      Most of the times, you need to format the drive before you can use it for data. You may follow the steps below:
      1) Right-Click on the My Computer icon either on your desktop or in the Start Menu and select Manage.
      A new window titled Computer Management comes up.
      2) Select Storage from the left hand side by clicking it once, then select Disk Management(local) from the right side by double-clicking it. Find your new drive and format it with one large partition.
      3) For First partition -make a primary partition if you want only one partition on the hard drive.
      4) Then you format the partition - again right click and select format use NTSF - use default allocation size and give the new volume a label (no spaces allowed in the name).
      Hope it helps
      Lincon_WD.

WD hard disk is not working

Sir I m kuldip wankhede in navi mumbai my WD hard disk is not working please change the my 500 GB hard disk Serial No. wmayuw924741. Hard Disk purchase on Juna 2012. my no.[protected]

My computer is not reading my western digital hdd

MY COMPUTER IS NOT READING MY WD 500GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. IT SAYS ITS NOT INITIALIZED... I CANT USE IT

I want to install win xp on my pc. Now i am using win 7 on my pc with 4 partitions. I want to format only c drive for winxp installation and keep other drives unchanged. Will these drives be accessible after installing win xp or i have to change their format type?
        Aug 6, 2021
        Hi akash329,

Any new Windows OS which you're going to install/upgrade might erase all your data on your hard drive, even though you've created particular partitions on it. I'd suggest you to backup all of your data first, before you make any OS upgrade to your PC. You may create those partitions again after installing the new OS.

Note: After you have backed up all your data, you may go ahead to perform full erase or format the drive because of the Operating System and BIOS limitations.

Lincon_WD

I have wd passport which is making repeated clicking sounds and I think its going to create some problem in near future. Is it dying or what?? And before any thing happens I want to take backup of drive on to wd personal cloud drive. Kindly tell me how can I do that and what to do with my passport?? I wan WD blue and also not available in my city????...
          I am having pc with windows 7 and using two western digital hard drives (primary & secondary) and 1 cd rom. Windows has asiigned drive letters to each partition and cd rom. I want to change these drive letters. How can i change this drive letter assignment?? thanks in advance...

I have wd passport which accidentally fell from me. After that, i connected it to my laptop, it started giving a clicking sound, and i could hear the spinning sound also, but windows could not recognize the hard disk. Is my hard drive gone now??
          Hi vishal88,
          I hope you are doing well. Based on your post you may try the following basic troubleshooting steps.
          1) Have you tried to connect the using different port available on your PC? You may try to connect the drive through another port if you have not tried.
          2) Try to connect using another USB cable, sometimes the cable might be failing or not supplying enough power to the drive.
          3) You may try to connect the hard drive to another system to check the hard drive is working or not?
          4) Are you able to use other external drives without any issues?
          Try to check in device manager with the following steps.
          From the start menu right click on the Computer and choose Manage.This will bring up the Computer Management Window. Now you can see Device manager on the left hand side under the heading System Tools.
          In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", Check if at all there is an exclamation mark along, the driver, it suggests issues with the driver installed. Right click on the "Uninstall" and click "OK". Then try to reconnect the drive it should show up.
          If it doesn't appear in Device Manager then you could try checking in Disk Management. Check if it appears there, sometimes it may turn up as Disk 1 or Disk 2, and the status. You could try to initialize and format it from here.

To make sure if there is any damage on the hard drive you may run the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics from WD. Below is the link with guidelines.

I hope it will help you.
          Thanks for ur information.. I tried but nothing worked out..It dead now. Can, the data recovered from this hdd and its not broken and under guarantee. Can it be sent for replacement??
          Hi vishal88,

I am sorry to hear about it. For the data recovery, you may try some third party softwares. If the data is really important, you may try the professional data recovery service in your area before sending it for replacement.

Here's the link for RMA:

Lincon_WD.
          Actually what i wanted to ask was that, " As the hdd was fell down, and may be something is broken from inside, and it is still under warranty, so will it be replaced under warranty (as in my case)"
          Hi vishal88,

This kind of damage is normally not covered. You may read our warranty policy from the link below:

Western Digital — ​replacement query

hello, i am balveer.actualily I sent a hard disk to western digital for replacement but they are not ready to send back my hard disk to me.They always telling me we'll send you your hard disk since one & half months.. Kindly do need full for me. thanks....

Hi.. I recently formatted my PC with wd hdd and win 7 and installed win 8 on it. I installed win 8 on primary partition that was 80 gb. The hdd had one more partition which after installing win 8 disappeared. I have imp data on that partition. how to get back that partition.
            Hi vivek4844,
            I'd like to help you, based on your did you try to check the same partition in disk management? You may follow the steps below to resolve the issue.

1) Check if that partition exists in the "Disk Management"
            1. From the Desktop, bring the mouse to the lower left-hand corner of the screen. This will bring up a small Start menu preview screen.
            2. Right click with the mouse, and a list if options will appear.
            3. From this list, click on Disk Management, which will launch the window on the desktop
            2) If you notice a partition without a drive letter, then right click on it
            1. Select "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
            2. Click on add button and select a drive letter
            3. Click ok and you should be able to view your data on this partition.
            Good luck
            Lincon_ WD.

I bought a new pc. All components are new, but i am using a old wd hard disk which i have taken from my old pc as secondary hard drive. This wd hdd was working fine with my old pc. The boot menu and disk management shows that the secondary HDD is there, but it does not show up in My Computer.
              Hi arsh854,
              I hope you are doing well. Based on your post you may try to assign a drive letter to the drive as you can see it in disk management. You may follow the below steps to change, add, or remove a drive letter.
              1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
              2. In the left pane, click Disk Management.
              3. Right-click the drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
              4. Do one of the following:
              Option 1. To assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click Add, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
              Option 2. To change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
              Option 3. To remove a drive letter, click Remove, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to remove it.
              Hope it helps.
              Thanks for the help..I have got this new pc as assembled pc from market. So what is the warranty of hdd and how to check that. Like vendor has given warranty for 1 year and after that for the products like hdd and processor, i have to take warrant directly from the company..
              Hi arsh854,

May I know what is the name of the hard drive manufacturer? Normally you can check the warranty online from the website of the company. It depends on the model of hard drive that how long will be the warranty.

not able to access WD my Passport

i m not able to access my hard disk of WD myPassport, can please help on this as soon as possible

thanks

jitendra kumar
              ph:-[protected]

Hi! I have wd my book 2tb and it works fine. But there is a bit of problem that is making me to doubt that it has some problem. Earlier when after using when i shutdown my pc, wd my book also shutdown. but now when i shutdown my pc wd my book does not power down. i have connected a usb hub a few days back through which i ma connecting it and my other devices. So is it normal or its some problem which is going to be bigger later...
                Hi satveer54,
                Based on your post, I'd suggest you to remove the drive from the USB hub and directly connect it to your computer because many hubs leave the data ports active indefinitely and that lead the drive to be on even when you shut down the PC.

I have found a relevant article which explains more about the similar issue. You may visit the link below and click on "The WD My Book external hard drive does not power down automatically when the computer system shuts down"

Hope it helps.

I am having problem with my hard drive. I have one internal 500 gb seagate hdd which was already installed on my PC and is running ok. I just bought a new wd 500 gb wd hdd which i connected to my pc as slave, but its neither showing up in BIOS nor in disk management. Althogh i can hear a spinning sound from it when i turn on my Pc. i am running windows 7 on my pc. Any suggestions?...
                  Hello! I have PC with amd sempron processor and western digital 500gb hdd. After using the pc i switched off it directly from power supply. When i started it again, it started giving message that no bootable device found. Insert boot disk and press enter. What should i do now??...
                  I have pc with amd sempron processor and WD 500gb caviar green hdd with win 7. On my laptop i am using WD Scorpio Blue 320 GB hdd wth win XP. I tried to connect my laptop hdd with PC as slave to copy some data. But its not acessible in PC. I can not see it in my computer nor in bios. Any ideas...

Hello! I had purchased a western digital 1tb hdd from a vendor in delhi 6 months ago, but now i have moved to pathankot. Now my problem is that my hdd is not working with my pc or any other pc. i tried changing cables and all other possible things. Now i want to send it to western digital for replacement. What is the procedure for replacement and where to send the hdd. Currently i am in pathankot (Punjab)
                  Hi Jack4594,
                  I am sorry to hear that your drive is having problem. Is there any error message appeared when connecting the drive?

You may visit to the link below to check the hard drive warranty status by selecting the country (e.g. India).

Once you have confirmed the hard drive is under warranty; then you may proceed to register for an RMA.
                  For RMA services and procedure, you can refer to the link below.

Western Digital — my new hdd not detected

I have connected my newly bought 500gb western digital hdd in paralleI with another old western digital 500gb hdd. But the second (newone) hard disk is not detected in bios. Pc somehow manages to boot but when i see in computer management there also its not detected. when i remove my old hard disk and only connect my new hard disk then also it's not detected. Is there problem with my new hard disk itself? Or i need to update my new hard...