Western Digital Complaints & Reviews

2.1
Last updated May 19, 2022

File a complaint to Western Digital

Having problems with Western Digital?

File a complaint and get it resolved by Western Digital customer care. It’s quick effective and absolutely free!

Western Digital

Western Digital Phone Numbers

Toll free
1800-200 5789

Western Digital reviews & complaints page 8

I have installed windows vista in my acer aspire laptop, few days later, i format the hard disk and tried to install Windows xp, But then my laptop is showing that hard disk is not detected. I tried that hard disk in my desktop PC, there it is working fine. I dont know what is the problom..pls help me...
I formated my external hdd accidently but I recovered data with recovery software.Now the problem is that I can't see drive in my computer .I tried to connect it to my LCD (there was working too, but now even TV can not recognize it).. Problem must be in Computer managment. there is a disk, there was written "unallocated". can I acess my hard disk agian without formating!?...

Western Digital — warranty issue

Dear sir Required HDD Replacement I was taken Western Digital Hard Disk 500 gb Serial number is -- WCA5C656661 and other 1 TB Western Digital Hard Disk WcAV5A798464 Still from u side there is no any response so please make it fast all my work is pending My email id : [protected]@yahoo.com : My name is HABIB ULLAH : My mobil number is [protected] Thanks & Regards HABIB ULLAH...

I have Western digital Portable HDD of 500GB, and i have made 3 partition in it. Drive Name are G:, H: & I:. The Problem is when i click on G: & H: Drive it shows "G:\ is not accessible The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable" and i have my very useful Data so i cant format it. Any sugesstions how to solve this problem??
Hi micky.m,

The error you are facing is may be because of some bad sectors on the drive.
My suggestion to you is that you may follow the below instructions to resolve it.
Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and press Enter.
"Command Prompt" will be opened.

Since you are having problem with G & H drivers, enter the below command

Chkdsk /f g: --> Press Enter.
chkdsk /f h: --> Press Enter.
second option is that you can also run the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to confirm if there is any hardware damage.
This test will also replace some of the bad sectors with the reserved sectors on the drive that will help to recover the drive from any bad sectors.
I hope it will resolve your issue.
Good Luck
Please tell me one more thing that can i change the drive letters that are assigned by default to partitions??
Hi micky.m,

You may change the drive letters with the help of guidelines given on the link below:

You may choose your operating system and then follow the instructions.

Lincon _WD.

I have Western Digital 500GB HDD. When i connect my HDD to the computer it does not detect. I also tried going to Disk Management but do not get the option of "Change Drive Letter and Paths...". It only shows properties and help... Please give me a solution
    Hi jack7959,
    I am sorry to hear about your issue, based on your post I would like to know whether it's appearing in Device Manager or not?
    I'd suggest you to reinstall your HDD's drivers from the Device Manager.
    You may also try to update the firmware of your drive from WD using the below link.
    You may try your hard drive to connect to another system.
    You may also try to use another USB cable to connect.
    You may also try to run the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics from WD to test the drive for problems.
    You may also visit the link below to fix the issue with the drive.
    I hope it will help you.
    Thanks. It was a great help in solving the issue.
    How to check the warranty of hdd. Is it from the date of billing?
    Hi jack7959,

I am glad to hear that the issue is resolved. For warranty, it depends if you have registered the drive with WD on the website or not. If you have, then the warranty will start from the date of registration. But if you didn't register at the time of purchase then you have to provide the bill or receipt of purchase to WD for the warranty registration. The best way to this would be to call the customer care line.

Here's a link to read more about the warranty services policy

Hope it helps.
    Hi lincon_wd... The software "Data Lifeguard" that u had mentioned in ur post will work on other hdd's also or only for wd hard drives. Actually i have 1 more hdd of hitachi..and its running very slow form few days. I want to check it for errors but i am worried if i run data life guard for it, my data doesnt get affected or erased.
    Hi jack7959,

I hope you are doing good, the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics cab be used for other drives. It will not erase any data on the drive.

Also try to increase free space in the hdd by deleting some files you don't use. It will help you to increase the life of HDD and you may get the better transfer speed.

Hope it helps.

Is it true that Western Digital caviar Green hard disk are not recommended for RAID configuration I have 640GB 16mb cache western digital hard disk with green color sticker on it. i wanted to buy one more hard disk for RAID but my dealer said there are some complaints to use raid in WD green HDD is that true???? :(
      Oct 12, 2014
      Western Digital Customer Care's response
      Hi Chintu,

I am glad to help you out. I’d suggest you to go with WD Red. WD Red designed for Enterprise use and recommended for RAID and NAS setup. The WD Red is design to just spin constantly for continual use/availability. For you information, WD Green also use for RAID setup. The WD Green drives do keep very cool since they use little power and are also very quiet. For RAID setup, the specification for WD hard drives must be same else you will face the problem to set up RAID.

For Raid 0 and RAID 1 setup, Please refer below link.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/996 .

Western Digital — WD My Passport Essential se 1tb problems

I have a WD My passport Essential se 1tb problem...I plug it in it shows that all my files are there but when I double click on it it shows Folder empty...I can do a search in the start menu for my files but it takes forever to find them...Im using a Sony Vaio laptop and it has windows 7...I have Avast! anti-virus and have scanned both the computer and external harddrive, both coming up clean...Im currently deployed in Afghanistan with the...

I have a WD My Passport 0740 500GB external HD that stopped working just 2-3 months after I started using it. And it filled to the brim, too. I tried taking it to the local IT store to recover the data, but no luck. ( PS, they opened the casing, so warranty is void).The light on the HD turns on. The Hard Drive is recognized. But it does not show up on Windows Explorer (windows 7 Ultimate). I've read a number of forum posts regarding the issue and checked that: a) the HD does not show up in that BIOS. b) when I open disk management, the HD does show up as disk1, but with no bar. At this point i've given up on recovering the data. But if the HD proves salvagable in any way, I'd be gratefull.

Western Digital — WD My Passport External HD stuck at Formatting

My WD My Passport 1TB stopped working all of a sudden. I just got it 3 months ago. The computer recognizes the hard drive and when I went to Disk Management the file system says RAW. The light just keeps on blinking. I've been looking for solutions online and I got answers that said that I should try making a new partition. I deleted the old and made a new one and now I'm formatting it and it seems to be stuck. I think there should be progress...

Western Digital — WD External Hard Drive not working

I have a 2Tb WD My Book external hard drive that stopped working after a file transfer to an internal HD was suddenly stopped. No PC was able to recognise it after the problem, so I took the hard drive out of the case and tried to install it on my machine, but despite appearing on the BIOS, it does not show the size and the machine does not start anymore....

Western Digital — capacity issue

I have Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III WD2002FAEX . I noticed today whatever files I put on it the capacity still the same "the free space is always 1.02TB. I put 5 gigabytes to see and it still "the free space is 1.02TB. I connect it via asmedia sata on my motherboard ASUS P8Z77 . What is wrong with it?...
          I have a Western Digital USB Hard Drive and for some reason when I plug it in it doesn't show up on the Windows Disk Management, it just makes a wired noise and then stops making that noise. I don't think the disk is spinning, I've taken some pictures and recorded a video so you guys can see it. If you have any idea of what could be the problem please let me know....

My western digital Hard Drive was fine in windows XP, I installed it in new computer with windows 7, now USB plug-in shows "USB Device Not Recognized?" The driver is up to date as per driver upgrade site?

I've had a 1TB external hard drive for about 6 months now. It has worked perfectly on my Win XP. 3 days ago it stopped showing up on my computer. It plugs in and my computer acknowledges that it's plugged in. However, the drive won't show up under My Computer. I have tried going to disk management and it says the device is working properly. Any ides? It spins and starts up. I tried restoring my computer but it would only go back 2 days. The power is fine and I have tried all my USB ports. Also, trying to install it and restart my computer didn't work either.
            Sep 22, 2014
            D1.K_WD's response
            Hello Rahul's, I am glad to help you out. Based on your post, its may be a driver or path issue. I give you some basic troubleshooting steps. It may help you to solve the issue.. Step 1: Check and update drivers in device manager. If the HDD appear in device manager. So please follow the below steps to update the drivers. 1)Open the Control Panel. 2)Select Device Manager . 3)In the Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial bus controllers". 4)Right click on your controller and select Properties. 5)In the new window, click on the "Driver" tab and select "Update Driver". Then select "Search automatically". Step 2 : 1)Restart your computer, and then try to access the drive or disk again. 2)Check drivers in device manager. 3)Try to connect with different USB ports with the same computer. 4)Change the USB cable (USB 3.0). 5)Try a different disk to make sure that the problem is with the computer and not with the original disk. If you still face the problem, Please run the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics in your system, it may help you to find the issue. Please refer to the link below for Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940 . Hope it helps.

My laptop suddenly couldn't load windows from my internal western digital hard drive. I replaced it with a new hard drive and put old wd hard drive as external to try to recover its contents. Windows detected it as drive e but couldn't read its contents. Tried recovery programs such as GETDATABACK and TESTDISK. The problem is these couldnt even detect the old wd hard drive. What can i do? Please help. I really need those files...
              My laptop isn't detecting my Western Digital hard disk. Suddenly it stopped working and following is happening after connecting it to my laptop (Win 7 64 bit OS)LED of the drive are ON.A light spinning sound can be heard from the drive....

Hi. I have a Western Digital external hard drive with files in two of the three partitions. I formatted it for OS X a few years ago before adding these files. Now I am trying to read these files on a Windows 7 laptop. Many of the threads I read said to "assign it a letter to see your files." The only way I could do that is to create a New Simple Volume. Did I make a big mistake here? Now that I did that, my Apple won't read the drive, and my Windows 7 laptop won't read it unless I format it, which I don't want to do for fear of losing all the files. Can someone please help me? Can I undo this New Simple Volume thing, or do I need to?
              Hi Chirag,
              I am sorry to hear that, based on your post I'd like to suggest you that New Simple Volume means that you have reformatted your hard drive. OSX uses a different file format which will not support up to Windows 7 and even if you will create Windows partition it will not change that, those partitions will still not be accessible.If you want to share a drive between Mac and Windows, format in FAT or if you have newer Mac and Windows version you could also use exFAT. I would probably do that format on the Mac. Unfortunately you might have lost your data however if you want to recover the data you may try the data recovery service which will be very costly .

Before going for data recovery service I'd recommend to try some online softwares to recover your files. I'd also suggest you for future references if you want to reformat the drive for Mac and Windows make sure you do it on FAT or exFAT
              Good luck.

Western Digital — Western Digital Black 4TB Not Working

I recently had some trouble with my computer. I got it all fixed, but now my 4TB hard drive is not working correctly. My computer recognizes that there is something connected, and it knows the name of the HD, but it won't let me access or format the hard drive. I attempted restarting my computer several times, and downloading the drivers from the Western Digital website, but it still would not work. Can you suggest anything for me to try?...

Two weeks ago I built a computer, I have a Samsung 120GB SSD on which I loaded Windows 8, yet my secondary 1TB WD Black HDD never showed up in the BIOS or startup, I just now started to troubleshoot this issue. I swapped out the SATA data cables with my optical drive, the optical drive still works with that cable. I even plugged it into another SATA power cable, yet still not showing up. I will note that every time I start my computer up, I hear a ticking sound coming from the HDD for about 1 minute, then it stops. I know cables are properly hooked up, yet I cannot get it to show up anywhere on my computer, I have a hunch that it might be dead? I am very close to shipping it back to Western Digital for a RMA, but I thought I would ask specifically here first
                Hi Pooja.chouhan,

I am glad to help you out. Based on your post, its may be a hardware issue. To the confirm the possible reason, Why Internal HDD is not detected in your system. I give you some basic troubleshooting step. It may help you to solve the issue.

Try to connect HDD with working computer and run the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics in system, it may help you to find the issue.

Please refer to the link below for Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics:
                http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940 .

If you still facing the problem, you can check our warranty and RMA policy.
                http://support.wdc.com/warranty/index.asp .

You can use our RMA service via website, call and Email us for your request.
                Our support team will happy to help you.

The following link has details of India support team:-
                http://support.wdc.com/country/country.asp?c=india .

Hope it helps.

I have a CORSAIR CX750 WATT 80 PLUS BRONZE POWER SUPPLY and I am trying to install my 1TB Western Digital Internal Hardrive. I have my Sata cable but my Power supply heads are different and don't fit in the Hardrive. What Should I Do, I Really Need The Hardrive for my Video Editing. Im New To PC Building.
                  Hi Vijay.Chouhan,
                  I am sorry to hear that you are facing this issue I'd like to help you.Based on your post. The CORSAIR CX750 WATT 80 PLUS BRONZE POWER SUPPLY has flexibility of modular cabling, in Layman's Terms-- removable plugs, the CX750 is a semi-modular version.There should be 2 different cables containing the SATA power connectors included with that PSU, try to have a look again . Make sure you have the plug oriented properly, it will fit and you should be able to connect and install the hard drive.
                  However if the drive connects with Molex power you need to get a Molex to SATA adaptor.
                  Good luck .