1. I am disappointed to bring the following to your kind attention. I am Captain in Indian army
and have been a customer of SBI since inception. I write to you to apprise you the utter discomfort we suffered in ‘SBI MAIN BRANCH, MATHURA’ on 18 Apr 08.
2. My father (who also has account with SBI; and a running home loan too from the same main branch, Mathura) applied for education loan on 16 April 08 for my sister’s higher education.
3. After having pursued on urgent reasons your bank agreed to give first draft (first installment worth Rs 1, 90, 000.00 )on the afternoon of 17 april 08 as I had to take my sister to delhi for admission early morning the next day;( and this fact was well conveyed to all concerned in your bank).
4. Bank called my father on mobile at around 1 pm on 17 April 08 and asked to come with stamp papers (worth Rs 200 & ten revenue stamps) for formalities.
5. I accompanied him on all occasions.
6. We were to meet MR JOGINDER PAL (Mob No-[protected]), MANAGER RASMECCC. He got everything processed. He obtained 6 signed blank cheques (Foil No-943267 to 943272 of bank account No.-[protected]). He also obtained signatures of my father & sister on the blank stamps papers (two; worth Rs 100 each) & on the revival form. All other relevant documents were already complete and through.
7. Before leaving, we asked if there was any other formality needed to be done at our end for completion of the process. He in reply said just to collect the draft at around 4pm.
8. At around 3 pm the same day (one hour before the given time) MR JOGINDER PAL called my father on mobile & said, “the draft can not be issued unless you deposit Rs 63000 approx (one third of certain margin amount), which came as a shock as it was told for the first time then.
9. I reached bank at 3:30 pm & enquired the reasons for the same .I questioned why this kind of clause was hidden till final moment.
10. This edgy development at the eleventh hour shattered my plans to leave the next day for admission with the draft amount. I am in no circumstances capable of depositing such amount.
(a) Why such an important clause of depositing 1/3 amount of the margin amount of the education loan was hidden/not shared by MR JOGINDER PAL till last moment even when asked specifically as in para 7.
(b) I had to abandon all my plans for admissions the next day.
(c) UNCOURTEOUS BEHAVIOUR: - MR PAL argued on my query. I said, “You have been in this chair for SBI for so many years and should have done your duty well by apprising customer all such important rules. You can’t miss & in fact should have all basic rules on finger tips”. He turned rude & apparently did not like being questioned by me. He said, ”you should better look for other bank in case you don’t like this.” I said, ”I don’t expect this line from you & now I will definitely follow the case. You should know how to deal with a customer.”
(d) Is there any clause like this in education loan?
12. FINALLY, I submit that I don’t want to take any education loan. I would request that my all relevant documents (including 6 signed blank cheques) may please be returned safe.
13. Despite this, I would like to appreciate the cooperation & good work done in initial stage by MR K.K.SINGH, C.R.E.
14. I am sorry I could not afford to be brief as your format desires.