[Resolved]  Pacific University, Udaipur — Unfair behavior

Sir/Madam,
Me and my parents went to Pacific University, Udaipur for an international conference on Managing change in Business and Economy. As an author I went there to present my research paper with my parents as accompanying persons.

Before, going there, we sent them a cheque of Rs. 2300 which they have already encashed. Also, on the website they had written that they would arrange for the accommodation as well as food arrangements for the author and accompanying persons. Also, they wrote that they would refund the railway ticket of the author if he/she is a student and travels by sleeper or 3rd A.C. They asked for Rs. 2300, i.e. Rs. 300 for the author and Rs. 1000 each for the accompanying persons for arrangement of accommodation. So, we sent them the cheque before 31st March only. The conference was scheduled 6-7 April. We reached Udaipur on 5th of April. On reaching the Hotel decided by them, we found that the accommodation arranged was not upto expectation. The hotel manager asked Rs. 1000 for the night stay and Rs. 400 extra for A.C. facility. They also asked extra money for hot water facility. The hotel rooms were ugly and not by any chance was a value for money. So we immediately called Mr. Sisodia, the concerned authority. Hearing this, he replied that he would arrange for us in a Dharmshala, which we inquired about and found that it is in more rubbish condition than the hotel. Also, we inquired about the hotel (Hotel Kartikey) from other sources and found that the room allotted to us was just Rs. 300 per day.

We didn't wait there for even 5 minutes and checked out of the room. We said Mr. Sisodia that we will arrange accommodation on our own and that we want Rs. 2300 to be refunded to us. He said that you need to talk to Dr. Mahima Birla (the chief organiser) for this issue. We stayed in a good hotel in a suite room that charged us Rs. 3000 for the three days.

Later, on 7th April, we talked to Dr. Mahima Birla and she said that no need to get the cheque cancelled. We will return the money to you by cheque and we will send that cheque at your home address. My father also wrote an application giving the details to them. And they approved it. We also asked her for the refund of railway fare and she said that there is nothing like that. That would not be refunded.

But they didn't returned the money till now. We call them, but they don't pick up the phone. Also, we wrote e-mails to them but still no replies.

Kindly, please inquire about the issue that are they carrying out fair practices? We also heard from other sources that they telephoned some authors with a promise to give them the best paper award irrespective of how their research paper is, i.e. some awards were predecided. They also gave money for the railway fairs and accommodation of such authors. Such a practice discourages me as a student to present my paper in such Universities. Not only that, I found that all my hard work was in vain as they did not gave me the promised 10 minutes (as written on their website) to present the paper.

I am also attaching the photocopy of the cheque that we sent them. We can also provide more details, if you need. Kindly arrange to refund our payment with reasonable compensation.

Udaipur