Dear air india
I would like to file a complaint for the inconvenience and torture that we had to go through on 15th july while waiting to travel on ai 317 (delhi to mumbai)
(attached: my boarding pass, note the boarding time of 10:15 pm/22:15 hrs)
The flight was scheduled at 23:00 hrs on 15th july which eventually took off around 04:00 hrs (16th july) with no reasoning, direction or assurance provided by air india
staff during the wait time regarding the whereabouts (of the plane!) or updated departure time of the flight. to my surprise, actually air india
did just the opposite. they misguided the passengers couple of times to multiple departure gates within 1 hour (even though there was no sign of even a plane waiting for us to board). only for the passengers to reach there an see that the gate was changed again! and to top it all there were no air india
executives taking the responsibility to come and help us out in the scenario. there were kids, senior citizens, and adults (travelling to catch a connecting flight), working professionals trying to make it to meetings early next day, but we hardly knew that this flight was going to be nightmarish.
Sequence of events:
1. i was informed at 8 pm, that the flight departure is at 11 pm. hence i reached the airport at 9:30 pm
2. while checking in, i had to ask the flight time (else nobody cared to inform). it was already delayed by 1.5 hours (updated time 12:30 am)
3. upon reaching the gate (10), we got to know the updated time of 12:40 hrs
4. at 12:20, we get informed that the gate is changed to the other end of the airport (i think gate 20 or 26). passengers were angry for only a 10 mins notice for almost a 1-2 kms walk (we cannot just fly to the different gates with our cabin bags in such a short time)
5. a lot of people ran, only to reach there and see the monitor displaying another gate change within 5 minutes
6. finally, the passengers quite angry and started demanding an air india
rep to come and inform us about what is going on. the crowd got restless and finally there was a security person
who came in to request people to calm down
7. to our dismay, no executives from air india
came until the very last minute (were the crew from another air india
flight agreed to extend their shift and fly us t mumbai). we boarded around 2:30 am (finally)
8. the plane did not take of[censored]ntil around 4:00 am. by then, all o[censored]s were very tired and had given up hope of even making it to mumbai until next morning
9. there was no reason provided for such a long delay and discomfort caused to the passengers
10. we landed around 6:30 am (if i remember correctly), with no reasoning provided by air india
regarding this incident
This raises questions in my mind:
1. why there were no air india
executives to take the ownership and inform us regarding the whereabouts of the plane/carrier?
2. why were we misguided to multiple gates?
3. what was the reason for more than 5 hrs delay?
4. as per the civil aviation ministry guidelines, the airline is supposed to provided reasonable facilities and compensation in such a scenario. what is the action taken on this?
4. when is air india
going to compensate us for the inconvenience and discomfort caused?
Having to go through all of this, there is a lot of trauma that i have already gone through. i expect air india
will look into the matter and respond with why i had to go through this trauma along with compensating for the same.
Apologies for the long email, but i could not sum up the trauma filled night at the delhi airport in any lesser words.
Looking forward to a quick reply.
P. s: the time stamps mentioned are approximate.
Air India customer support has been notified about the posted complaint.