[Resolved]  RAILWAYS AND RPF — HARASSMENT BY RPF

On October 13,2010 late night I had to go to Kollam Railway Station of Kerala to receive my daughter and son- in law who was coming from Delhi by Train No.2787 BSP TEN EXPRESS boarded from ALUVA which arrived Kollam at around 12.30 (night) (late by 00.30 hrs) which was scheduled to arrive at 12.00 night. On entering the platform, I had seen a goods train parked at the main platform no.4 of Kollam Station where train no.2787 was also to arrive .Since my daughter and son-in law was coming home due to illness (DENGUE FEVER) and was travelling from Delhi to Kochi by Air and from Aluva to Kollam in coach No.B1 with her husband and my brother on berth Nos.0010, 13& 48, I wanted to just check with the station master whether train No.2787 will be stopped at the main platform No.4 or elsewhere, but he did not respond and asked me to leave the place. Since I was very much tense and frustrated due to the late arrival of the train and physical condition of my daughter and son- in law, I just asked the Station Master again to confirm about this and also enquired about holding a goods train at the main platform when another express/mail trains are coming late . If the passenger trains are stopped at other platforms, it will be very inconvenient for the passengers to come out at that past midnight because then passengers have to use the foot overbride. Being a responsible and senior citizen of India I feel I have the right to express my feelings to the concerned, Due to my repeated queries and comments he got annoyed and summoned the RPF, claiming that I have consumed liquor and obstructed their official duties. At that time my nephew was waiting at the platform and the RPF personnel started questioninig him with indescent remarks and shouted at him , when I told the RPF person that he is my nephew and accompanying me, they asked him to immediately vacate the platform . when I asked the RPF person the reason for his vacating the station when he is having a valid platform ticket, he has summoned another RPF officials who has asked the station master to give a written complaint against me and asked me to accompany them. They took me to the RPF station. When we reached the RPF station, one constable asked me to do "SOMETHING" and they will let me go without any problem. When I refused to do "ANYTHING", they registered a case, arrested me, sent for medical check up and later released on the personal bonds of my son- in law and brother . There was one officer also at the station having stars on his uniform shoulders who asked the constables to check my body and find some personal identification marks. To find out some body marks, they have paraded me like a hard core criminal in front of my children, which hurted me a lot. I cud not contact my local relatives at that time because it was very late night and whatever they asked me to do and sign, I did that. They did not allow me to use the mobile phone also at that time.Being a responsible citizen of India, I have obayed everything due to my helplessness at the wee hours of the horrible night of October.13.2010.

Later on I have realized that a case was registered by RPF against me under Railways Act No.145(a),(b) & 146. Plse note neither I had committed any nuisance or act of indecency or used abusive or obscene language or obstructed or prevented any railway servant on the discharge of his duties. Of course when I approached the station master for my query, there was another female sitting with him in that room and were in conversation. I don't know whether she is a railway staff or outsider. Due to my query if their conversation was disturbed, that is the only act of obstruction of duty done by me. I had approached station master's office because there was nobody at the station counters for enquiries at that time of past midnight. I did not commit any offence wilfully. whatever happened was only due to my frustration and mental agony of negative circumstances at that night . I was very tense and had to be hospitalized the next day for hypertension. I am already a Blood Pressure Patient and taking medicines regularly since last 7-8 years.

Sir, Is it the way of Indian Railways to attend a citizen of 58 years of age at past midnight when the platforms and surroundings are deserted ?? Inspite of extending a helping hand, the authorities had put me in deep trouble by slapping a case on me !!.

K.K. Thomas